Monday, January 5, 2009

Mary Arlene Walker

Mimi went to be with the Lord on Wednesday December 31, 2008. She had a hard three month battle with stomach cancer. The chemo was especially hard on her precious body and her heart is what finally gave out.

Today, I am reflecting on the blessings of her, her life, and her death. I treasure these things in my heart. I have so many fantastic memories with her. When you have such a young grandmother, she gets to do all kinds of fun things with you. In 2004, mom, Mimi, and me went to Acapulco on a girl's trip together. We had such a great time. She came to Cabo twice with us, I have fond memories of laying by the pool sipping ice tea and reading. She came to see me sing in church, she came to graduations and birthdays (even my most recent July birthday). I even had the sweet blessing of living with her for three months after college. I am reminded in that of what a simple woman she was, loved her bridge ladies, loved Wheel of Fortune and Jag. She was the most amazing grandmother, and I never doubted the love she had for me.

Tuesday morning we were all called into MD Anderson to say our goodbyes. It was surreal, as I thought she would surely beat this disease and be here many more years, but God, in his divine plan had this in mind. I held her sweet hand and saw how the cancer had taken 60 pounds of her and the bruises from IV's and ports all over her arms. I told her how much I loved her and what she meant to me and the legacy she left behind. I told her to go to Jesus. We read Psalm 23 over her. I felt led to read that one in particular, not knowing it was one of her favorites. I know she heard and I pray it was great comfort over her. We prayed over her. We waited. She made it through the day, as the most important people came to say their goodbyes. Wednesday morning at 8:30, she took her last breath and left her frail body to the most wonderful banquet. I know she was greeted by the Lord and given a cancer-free body. I know that she is free from burden and pure as snow. All these things, I have no doubts of.

It was a blessing that we were all in town, my brother and Meredith still on holiday, Jacob here. It is a blessing that I am living with my parents and can support my mother and be there with her. There are so many blessings that come out of this. I know people were blessed by the service, it was beautiful and the Word of God radiated over us. We sung Great is Thy Faithfulness, one of her favorites. Truly, Lord you are great and your mercy is new every day.

I will miss her, her smile, her grace. I will miss the woman that gave so much to this world and to me. I will see her again one day! Rejoice, for she is with her King!

2 comments:

APage said...

Praise the Lord that we grieve, though not without hope. He is good and His love endures forever! I'm praying for you sis and love you so much!

Unknown said...

Hi Cristina, I just found your blog and I have to say just reading your words is so encouraging. I am sorry to hear for your loss but praise the Lord that she is with Him now and no longer suffering. I have a grandmother who is suffering from lugaric disease for the past 6 or 7 years. I can relate to how you feel about letting your loved one go, but at the same time I also have this selfish human response that I don't want to miss her and I want her here so that one day she can meet my babies. But I have also found the Lords peace and know that one day when he calls her it will be a glorious day because she will finally be with Him!
~Elizabeth Arsenault