This book came from my great aunt when I went off to college. Before Jacob and I moved back at the end of the year I had found it and put it next to the bed with my Bible. If you've ever read it, then you know how phenomenal it can be. If you haven't ever read it, then definitely add it to the wish list. It has so ministered to us these past months, God has used it to speak into our circumstances and we have been humbled, encouraged, challenged, and just wowed!A little history on the book. The book was first published in 1925, by Mrs. Charles Cowman who was a missionary in Japan. She compiled a book full of quotes, scriptures, and inspirations that meant so much to her during her ministry. As you read you'll recognize names like Charles Spurgeon, Matthew Henry, and George Matheson along with a host of others who in their time had an incredible grasp on faith, salvation, suffering, etc. The book corresponds to the days of the year, so you can read one every day.
Jacob and I try and read one each night together and we are blown away by how the Lord speaks directly into our circumstances. I don't think there has been one reading that hasn't been incredibly applicable to our lives. I wanted to post one that really ministered to us a couple weeks ago on trials.
"Show me wherefore thou contedest with me." Job 10:2
"Perhaps, O tried soul, the Lord is doing this to develop thy graces. There are some of they graces which would never have been discovered if it was not for trials. Dost thou not know that thy faith never looks so grand in summer weather as it does in winter? Love is to oft like a glow-worm, showing but little light except it to be in the midst of surrounding darkness. Hope itself is like a star---not to be seen in the sunshine of prosperity, and only to be discovered in the night of adversity. Afflictions are often the black folds in which God doth set the jewels of His children's graces, to make them shine better.
It was but a little while ago that, on thy knees, thou wast saying, 'Lord, I fear I have no faith: let me know that I have faith.'
Was not this really, though perhaps unconsciously, praying for trials?----for how canst thou know that thou hast faith until thy faith is exercised? Depend upon it. God often sends us His trials that our graces may be discovered, and that we may be certified of their existence. Besides, it is not merely discovery; real growth in grace is the result of sanctified trials.
God trains His soldiers, not in tents of ease and luxury, but by turning them out and using them to forced marches and hard service. He makes them ford through streams, and swim through rivers and climb mountains, and walk many a weary mile with heavy knapsacks on their backs. Well, Christian, may not this account for the troubles through which you are passing? Is this not the reason why He is contending with you?" C.H Spurgeon
To be left unmolested by Satan is no evidence of blessing.
No comments:
Post a Comment