Monday, May 4, 2009

Swine What? How You and Yours Can Stay Healthy

I know everyone is freaking out about this virus. Can I just say that the media is too much for me? It seems as if the Whole Health Organization is about to declare this thing a level 6, pandemic. Super! I changed my diet and lifestyle almost a year ago and God has used it to change my life! Jacob and I haven't been on a prescription drug since then, we haven't had to go to the doctor for any illness, we feel amazing and are healthy and SO grateful!

If you knew how many foreign viruses entered your body every day, you'd be shocked. However, our immune systems have been built to fight these pathogens off. So, beyond the obvious washing of hands and sanitizers, here's some things you can do to build up your immunity and create a healthy lifestyle:

First and foremost, avoid all typical immuno-suppressing habits. You can start with your diet. Acid-forming foods create an environment in the body where pathogens thrive. Sugar (including high-fructose corn syrup) is the top acid-forming food. Behind sugar would be processed foods (white flour, white rice...Taco Bell), coffee, alcohol, cheese and red meat. Better to limit these foods and focus on adding to your diet alkaline-forming foods such as raw seasonal fruits and raw or lightly steamed vegetables. One of my favorites for Spring and Summer is carrot, apple, and kale juice. I use a juicer for this and it's so good! The digestive enzymes help your body to function and the natural forms of sugar regulate blood sugar and metabolism. You'll feel great and be healthy!

Above and beyond food, stress produces the most acid in the body. I can give real account to this in my own life, as I will often rely on myself and not God, creating unnecessary worry and fear. Be cautious and reasonable and safe, but don't let the media-driven fears pervade your world. The best it may do, in my opinion, is to weaken your immunity and make you more vulnerable to any illness.

Sleep is so important, too. Eight hours, beginning between 10 and 11pm is what you should strive for. A tired body is a weakened body. Give your body the chance to recuperate and rebuild itself. If you have trouble getting to sleep, herbal chamomile tea is fantastic after a warm bath. Also, remember to eat at least three hours before bed, as a full stomach is not good for digestion once your body moves into REM sleep.

Moderate exercise is also key. It is a great stress-reducer and helps oxygenate the body. Yoga is great for relaxation, balance, and helping the body to detoxify. If you are able (and I have to remind you to ask your doctor if you are), an exercise that bounces up and down is excellent. Examples of these are rebounding (mini-tramps), jumping rope, or fast walking/jogging. The more oxygen you have flowing through your body, the better you feel. Just 20 minutes of exercise everyday will boost your immune system and greatly enhances brain function and helps with sleep.

Regarding supplements, they are many things you can take for strengthening the immune system. The most important is a daily multivitamin. I highly recommend Intramax. http://store.druckerlabs.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y We have had great success with this product, it's some powerful stuff and it tastes awesome! It contains over 415 essential nutrients and is completely organic. They have an Intrakid formula too. Let me know if you'd like me to get you a bottle, I have a supplier here who sells it cheaper than what I have seen online. From there, I would add medicinal mushrooms which have been proven to greatly increase immune function, specifically the activity of natural killer cells. Stamet's 7 Mushroom Blend is my favorite. Anytime I get a tickle in the throat, I add this in some juice with breakfast and feel better immediately. Other great supplements to consider are zinc, essential fatty acids, vitamins C, E and A, Selenium (all of which you should be getting in your multi, but could take additional amounts), as well as astragalus, suma, maca and ashwaganda. All of these support the immune system. Lastly, be sure to take a probiotic. The majority of our immune system is found within the digestive tract. Eating yogurt is not going to do the trick and most yogurts have loads of added sugar.

Blessings and great health,


Cristina

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Awesome - I am a totally believer in protecting your body the way God wants us to! So it is really awesome to learn to ways to do it!

Thanks :)

Liz Dammel said...

hi cristina, it's liz (hodges) dammel. thanks for posting this...i have begun to learn more and more about how are bodies were created to function...thanks for sharing this!