Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mexican Hummus....Um, Um, Good!

Mexican food is one of my bf's. Of course, we don't do the lard and the cheese around here...but yall this is some tasty business right here. I scored this recipe from Vegetarian Times and added some flare.

Mexican Hummus

1 15.5-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup salsa
1 Tbs. lime juice
2 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup cilantro

Directions

1.Put beans, salsa, lime juice, oil, garlic and cumin in food processor or blender, and purée until smooth.

2.Spoon mixture into bowl, and stir in pumpkin seeds and cilantro. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate. Makes about 1.5 cups.





So, I try and not use canned beans if I can help it...too many metals. I soaked 1.5 cups of pinto beans with kombu (seaweed that's nature's beano) overnight and then drained and cooked by bringing to a boil and then lowering heat to as fast simmer covered for an 1.5 hours in 6 cups water. You'll know when they are done because they fall apart. Yes, I bought the salsa (organic) and didn't squeeze my own limes (organic lime juice)....I am trying to create recipes for ladies who have busy lives!! I'm right there with yall.

It gets better. I broiled squash, zucchini, and red pepper in the oven marinated in EVOO and salt and pepper about 4-6 min a side. I then spread the hummus over a sprouted tortilla and picked basil from the garden, three leaves, some raw red onions, leftover arugula from the quinoa recipe, and voila! Another wrap, easy to assemble and oh so yummy! You can also serve this as a dip with veggies or whole wheat pita. Any left-over toasted pumpkin seeds you have, go great in a jar and eaten as a snack or in oatmeal for breakfast.











Bueno.

1 comment:

APage said...

Looks so yummy and the pics are GORGEOUS! good job! Love you sis! Can't wait to try it. Praying for y'all.